Tuesday 6 December 2011

Grrrl Power

My first proper post was going to be about my favourite tracks of 2011, but I have about 100 and haven't managed to narrow it down yet, I'm working on it. Meanwhile, I got introduced to this band at the weekend:


They are amazing right? They sound like a mash up of Shampoo and Kenickie, which is something I didn't realise I wanted until I heard it.

Anyway, listening to them led to a mad craving to listen to Shampoo.

Shampoo consisted of two friends, Jacqueline "Jacqui" Blake and Carolyn "Carrie" Askew. They were from Plumstead in London and were on the fringes of the "Riot Grrrl" music movement in the UK. They were Manic Street Preachers fans (unexpected), and wrote a fanzine for them called Last Exit and also went on to appear in the video of their song "Little Baby Nothing". Most people think of Shampoo as a Nineties cheesy one hit wonder Girl duo, but they were soooo much more. Yes, really, I'm completely serious. They actually had Three albums in this country, and a couple of B-side compilations that were released in Japan, where they were huge (another reason why I love Japan).

One of my earliest memories from the school playground is running around when I was 10 years old, with my BFF at the time, Catherine, pretending that we were Shampoo. I was always forced to be Carrie (the shorter, slightly dumpy one), but I didn't mind as I secretly preferred her anyway, and I still do. I remember asking my mum for a supergirl T-shirt just like Jacqui had. Now, I'm pretty sure Catherine has grown out of this obsession by now but somehow I never did. Watching their videos, I can actually see how they probably played some part in the kitsch stuff that I consider to be amazing today, eg; Plastic dolls, Heart shaped sunglasses, Flamingos and other general tacky OTT stuff. I mean, just look at them! What a pair of mega-babes. <3






I really think that if they hadn't had such a big chart hit with "Trouble" then they might be considered 'cool' today.

I have no idea what they are doing now, but would love to find out. There was a rumour going around that they are mega rich from the money they made in Japan. I wonder...

Here are some links to hear more of Pris, and Shampoo:

http://soundcloud.com/i-love-pris

http://www.myspace.com/grlgotskills/music

No comments:

Post a Comment